The Lion King, Jr - Photography provided by Kevin King
Originally founded in 2001 as Theatre 150, Ojai Youth Entertainers Studio (OYES) has become dedicated to challenging, inspiring, educating & entertaining children and families in the Ojai Valley through the experience of quality theatre, dance and music.
Growing a child's love for theatre
We aim to grow your child’s love for theatre and cultivate fervent audience members for the future. Without audience members, the arts couldn't survive! We strive to impart an organic, deep appreciation for the Arts for kids both on and off the stage.
Musical Theatre Program
OYES produces 3 full musical productions annually (Fall/Winter, Spring, Summer) in three different age groups (4-6, 7-11, 12-15). Each production is triple cast, and fully realized with set, costumes, props, theatrical lighting, and music -- culminating in performances before a live audience on the OYES Youth Center Stage.
With rehearsals meeting just once weekly, our musical theatre program is designed to allow student cast members time for rehearsals, homework, dance, music, sports and family.
Drama & Film Classes
For each Spring, Summer and Fall/Winter session, OYES offers a variety of classes, camps and workshops complimentary to the musical theatre program; Auditions, Improv, Stage Acting, Student Directed One-Act Plays, Voice/Chorus, Physical Theatre, BodyTalks Movement, On-Camera Acting, Writing, Monologues (writing and coaching), Technical Theatre, Dr Who Drama Club, Film Production, and always more!
What We've Achieved
- In 2012 Founding Artistic Director, Krista Kim, began Ojai's first all-youth musical theatre program designed to work with the busy schedules of families in the Ojai Valley, with rehearsals taking place only once per week culminating in a full-scale performances.
Since 2012 OYES has...
- Produced over 50 youth and intergenerational musical productions and plays
- Awarded over $5,000 in scholarships
- Reached thousands of families annually as students and audience members.
- Helped students overcome shyness, build healthy relationships, set and achieve goals, build public speaking confidence, and many more life-skills which are integrated into our teaching methods